The beauty queen of leenane
Pinnacle Acting Company presents The Beauty Queen of Leenane by Martin McDonagh, directed by Jared Larkin. Running June 13-15. 25-26, 28-29, 2019 at 7:30PM with a 2PM matinee on June 29.
Set in a dingy cottage in a remote part of Galway, The Beauty Queen of Leenane tells the darkly comic tale of Maureen Folan, a lonely woman in her early forties, and her aging and dependent mother, Mag. Constantly at her mother’s beck and call, Maureen takes revenge by feeding her lumpy Complan and hurling the occasional insult. Escape comes in the form of Pato Dooley, who is about to go to Boston. When Mag interferes once too often, Maureen decides the time has come to break free.
This multiple Tony Award Winning play is written by the same acclaimed author as In Bruges and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, Martin McDonagh. One of his several Irish dark comedies, The Beauty Queen of Leenane is a brutally surprising and darkly comedic story that captures the monotonous life of mother and daughter in rural Galway.
Awards and nominations
- 1996 Olivier Awards
- BBC Award for Play of the Year (Nomination)
- 1998 Tony Awards
- Best Play (nomination)
- Best Leading Actress in a Play – Marie Mullen (winner)
- Best Featured Actor in a Play – Tom Murphy (winner)
- Best Featured Actor in a Play – Brían F. O’Byrne (nomination)
- Best Featured Actress in a Play – Anna Manahan (winner)
- Best Direction of a Play – Garry Hynes (winner)
- 1998 Drama Desk Awards
- Outstanding Play (winner)
- Outstanding Actress in a Play – Marie Mullen (nomination)
- Other awards